Subtitle

Even if you are finally "cancer free" it will always be with you mentally

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Neuropathy

Today was bloodwork day, my numbers are where they expect them to be.  I've been feeling pretty good, just a lack of stamina, with the exception of today, I woke up feeling like a truck hit me and my legs and hips hurt.  Thank goodness for pain medication...I took it and got ready for the trip to the hospital.  I'll rest the remainder of today.  I didn't sleep well last night and I've been pushing myself for the last 4 days to try and do things.

I have been experiencing what I guessed was a side effect of the chemo...neuropathy.  It's been affecting my right hand and wrist, my fine motor skills, as the nurse said.  A weakness making it difficult to lift things with my right wrist/hand...the laptop, pans, etc.  Down to my fingers making it difficult to write and even cut glass.  Needless to say, it's scary and frustrating, though not life threatening so I figured I could wait until today to speak with the nurse.  I did confirm my personal diagnosis (LOL) with the nurse and she said to talk to the doctor next week when I see him as there may be a dosage adjustment needed or whatever he feels needs to be done.  With each treatment it can get worse as it is one of the side effects that is cumulative as opposed to side effects that go away once your body adjusts.  It is also a common side effect of one of my chemo drugs, Paclitaxel.  Again, not life threatening, but a nuisance that can actually continue well past treatment and even be permanent.  Ya know, I'll take it....if this treatment gets rid of the cancer, I'll deal with it.  I've already adjusted my glass cutting technique to accommodate the weakness.  Where there's a will, there's a way.

One of the things I hate most is the whole schedule.  The first week following treatment is the worst in regards to debilitating side effects.  The second week I'm working at trying to build myself back up, feeling like I want to do things but fighting the fatigue.  The third week I actually feel human and can do things with an occasional rest period.  Then its time to start it all again.

February 24 is treatment #3....halfway through.

1 comment:

  1. You must be so exhausted! I am always amazed with your attitude. You are so strong. Hang in there, I am thinking of you always!

    ReplyDelete