Subtitle

Even if you are finally "cancer free" it will always be with you mentally

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Back Amongst the Living

Once again, I made it through the first week after a chemo treatment. It's not an amazing victory, but it sure ain't for sissies. Unless you suffer from one of the many body-wracking maladies that exist, you just can't imagine. I'm not a very vocal person, but the body pain that first week is enough to make me groan out loud with every step or movement. I have pain medication but you can only take so much and it doesn't take the pain away completely. The pain is also more intense in any body part that is weaker because of past injury or surgery. Which for me means my knees. And this time, my neck/back from my fall a few weeks ago. Headaches seem more numerous and intense. We just don't plan anything for that first week. I was able to do a few things the first two days but then it hit me good. I've learned not to fight it...just stay in bed and try to rest or sleep. I literally hurt from the tips of my fingers to the tips of my toes.

The neuropathy seems worse this time. I'm feeling it in both hands and my feet. It's not really painful, just weird and annoying. It takes away a lot of feelings in those extremities but thankfully not to the point of endangering myself. It also makes some things difficult, for example, filing certain fingernails. It's quite comical, actually. And hard to describe. Thankfully I'm finding ways to do what I need and want. I was able to draw a glass pattern yesterday, so that hasn't been lost. I have to write slower so it's legible, but who cares? I cut glass with two hands but that doesn't matter if the results are the same.

2 comments:

  1. "It's not an amazing victory, but it sure ain't for sissies" This sentence made me laugh! Keep hanging in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jess. I'm not a quitter, so I'll just keep keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete