Subtitle

Even if you are finally "cancer free" it will always be with you mentally

Friday, January 13, 2012

Bloodwork Friday

I have bloodwork every Friday throughout this entire chemotherapy. They check levels of various things going on in your body, especially the immune system stuff. They know what it should be at various stages. Today my numbers were right where they want them to be, which makes me happy. Next week is when they expect the levels to be down to their lowest. Then the week following they check again before starting the next round of chemo to make sure your body can take the chemo. So all is going as expected except for my stupid porta cath. Still couldn't get blood out of it. They tried the stuff that should have cleaned out the fibers that are stopping the outward flow of blood, even letting it set awhile. Still nothing. This is not a deal breaker, it just means they have to use my uncooperative veins to draw blood. My veins like to hide. The nurse told me that they have seen everything, though. They had one woman whose cath did not give blood for 2 years then out of the blue it started. They never give up in hopes that it might work. So every week we will try it.

Most patients get on a specific schedule of treatment, which means you see the same ladies every week, especially since the chemo lab is in the doctors office (so we all have the same oncologist and since he is a gynecological oncologist, his patients would all be female). Its nice because you develop a camaraderie with women who all understand what you are going through.  Many times they have a male family member with them which can lead to comic relief.  (sorry guys, but you can't help it)  Its like a little extended family in that you can feel free to talk about, in detail, any side effects you may be experiencing.

It also lets you see that, no matter how bad your cancer is, there is some one who has it worse.  Last night I was feeling down, something I try not to let myself fall into.  But today there was a new woman in there for her first treatment.  Within the past year, she has lost her husband and mother to cancer.  And while she was busy caring for them and the aftermath of their lost battle, she realized something was wrong in herself.  She was diagnosed with stage IV uterine cancer that had spread to other internal organs.  She has a job but no insurance, so being a "self pay" patient, she is not eligible for any of the case studies, which include new, promising drugs.  And she still had the attitude that let her join in our conversation and laugh.  Sorta brings it all into perspective, no?

I'm not saying that I can't have sad days, but I mustn't ever let them take over.  My chances of survival are far better than average.  I'm lucky to have my job and good insurance.  I have a multitude of friends (some who have been through it) and family praying for me everyday.  And a well respected oncologist taking care of me.  So as I am fond of saying, "suck it up, buttercup".

Oh, and I lost another 5 pounds....

No comments:

Post a Comment