Subtitle

Even if you are finally "cancer free" it will always be with you mentally

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Fate

It was fate that made me get up and go to work today.  Maybe not for me.  But a stranger on the train.

I had my monthly train ticket for January that, unfortunately, is non-refundable.  I didn't know about the chemo in time to stop the auto purchase.  Oh well...$139.00 wasted.  You can't sell them because everyone that needs one has it by the first business day of the month.  I did use it one day. But tonight I sat in front of a woman that asked the conductor if they had found a monthly ticket and his answer was no.  After about 5 minutes, I turned to her and asked if she really had no idea where she lost it.  She said she did leave it on the train, but forgot to pick it up before departing.  So I gave her my ticket. I had no use for it and why waste it?  She couldn't understand why I would do that so I told her this was my only day riding the train this month because I was starting chemo.  She was so thankful for the ticket because her husband was out of work.  We chatted a bit, come to find out she had uterine cancer and chemo when she was 20 and she is now 60 and cancer free.  So in a way, it was good for me too, because it was another story of a cancer survivor.  Another story of hope and success.  We ended the convo by her asking my first name because she was going to add me to her prayers.  That brought tears to my eyes.

Then I got to my stop, stood up to button my coat and get my bag and promptly fell backwards as the train lurched to a stop, thankfully landing on the armrest before hitting the floor.  Shook me up bad and Jack's words came to mind:  "no good deed goes unpunished".  hahaha just joking. But I was very happy that my ticket didn't go to waste.  And some extra prayers are always a good thing!

Little nervous as the days get closer.  Tomorrow is surgery day.  Piece of cake!

1 comment:

  1. OMG...that is fate! For both you and the recipient of your train pass. Wow.

    ReplyDelete